On Fri, 12 Apr 2024 08:43:04 -0500
DR <wxe...@gmail.com> wrote:

> THE most often made comment from the developers is to turn on debug
> and then furnish the log.

Humpf!  If it's that easy, why not put it in a script like a
client-side *bugzilla*? Seems like a good idea to me.  All us mice could
approve, wouldn't we?

Of course, it takes only one mouse to put a bell on this (apparently)
sleepy cat.

What scope should the script have?

+ NO PARAMETERS!

+ NO *.ini*!

+ Import *configobj*.

+ Get write authority to ~/weewx-data/weewx.conf.  Not so easy because
  it could be in any number of locations.

+ Save *debug* option status.

+ Set *debug* option.

+ Ask real-time User of this script for *root* authority and escalate
  to it, telling User what we're doing and making doubly sure of his
  approval.  Danger, Will Robinson!

+ Do *systemctl restart weewx*.  If this fails, throw up hands.

+ Keep User on hold for an hour.

+ Reset *debug* option.

+ Do *systemctl restart weewx*.  Expect success.

+ Checkpoint current log file.  Not so easy because it could be in any
  number of locations.  Allow read-only access to User.

+ Relinquish *root* authority.

+ Checkpoint the output of *weectl debug*.

+ Ask for the User's favorite code editor.  Give Newbies *emacs*.

+ Conjure authority to send eMail.

  * What is your name?

  * What is your eMail address?

  * Which is your SMTP server?

  * What port is allowed?

  * What password is required?

  * What is your quest?

  * What's your favorite color?

+ Present a template for a well-formed Bug report.

  * What happened that prompted you to make this bug report?

  * What did you expect to happen?

  * What did you do to make it happen?

  * What was the most recent change you made?

+ Checkpoint the template and amendments.

+ Compose eMail to weewx-user@googlegroups.com.

+ Show the User what we're going to send (with attachments) and ask
  for approval.

+ Import *smtplib*.

+ Import *email.message*.

+ Do *SMTP.send_message()*.  If this fails, throw up hands.

- --
.. Be Seeing You,
.. Chuck Rhode, Sheboygan, WI, USA
.. Weather:  http://LacusVeris.com/WX