I've had this kind of a failure in the past. If the super-capacitor fails
it regularly drains the battery (I had to replace mine several times a
year). A new motherboard fixes this. I also had replaced the solar panel,
but that made no difference.

Unfortunately, ants got into the housing a few years later, and I ended up
having to replace the entire unit.