Hi all,
Let me give some context to this:
My idea is that soon, Wesnoth will need lots of x2, x3, and x4 bitmaps
for high-resolution displays. Vectorizing the existing art, and
scaling it up this way, could provide a template for artists to work
with. In some cases the result could even be used directly. Otherwise
the task of creating so many high-res versions seems almost
insurmountable.

I am a researcher but not in the field of image processing. However,
perhaps we could find a co-mentor from a related project (OpenCV) who
could help handle the algorithmic part. I also think that there must
be at least some decent vectorizing algorithms available as open
source, on which we could build.

For example, a project could
(1) create a pipeline to extract Wesnoth bitmaps, convert them to
vectors, then to higher-res bitmaps, and put them back into Wesnoth;
(2) improve the existing vectorization algorithms. Perhaps some
artifacts are relatively specific to background tiles or unit
animations, for which custom-tailored algorithms may create improved
results.

--
Regards,
Cyrille Artho