From: Maureen Ayikoru <ayiko...@yahoo.co.uk>
To: A Virtual Network for friends of West Nile <westnilenet@kym.net>
Sent: Sun, 28 November, 2010 18:16:23
Subject: Re: [WestNileNet] Mass experiements in Uganda - Testing diseases in
West Nile district in Uganda

Dear Ismail et al.,

Thanks for bringing to the fore this important subject to the forum. I have
finally started receiving postings from the WNF (thanks for this Kiggs). I hope
I am not repeating what has already been said.

A colleague at my university last year drew my attention to this book by Wolf
Geisler and another satirical piece by the fiction write John Le Carré (titled
The Constant Gardener) in which the latter exposed Western based pharmaceutical
companies in their unethical experimentation (or is it 'acts of charity' where
new drugs are trialed on human subjects in Sub- Saharan Africa - in this book,
Kibera Slums in Nairobi). While largely fictitious, many who have read this
book
(I suggest you try reading it) have reason to believe there are striking
parallels with real life examples of drug trials in Sub- Saharan Africa and
else
where. I have tried in vain to trace the Wolf Geisler book on AIDS and
surprisingly, I could not even find it on Amazon, perhaps the largest online
bookshop in the world. I have however read the Constant Gardener and watched
the
movie as well; I say it is worth reading.

The subject of HIV- AIDS has evidently caused a lot of health, socio-economic
and emotional damage to our country and region and the idea that there may be
alternative information about causes and spread of this dreadful disease cannot
be taken lightly. I have also come across some works that link HIV-AIDS
prevalence in Africa in particular with vaccines, (the polio vaccine as an
exemplar), something I grew up hearing from my father who generally discouraged
us from getting vaccines in the ‘70s and ‘80s. My father had been a student of
certain Prof. JB Jelliff, a pediatrician (I think and perhaps his favourite
teacher!) in the early 1960s (at Masaka Medical Assistants Training School),
where he picked what I would describe as some cautionary tales from this
(American) professor about the dangers of medication to humans in general and
vaccines for children in particular, even more so where the constituent
elements
within the vaccine have not been studied thoroughly.

Fast forward to 2009, I came across a documentary on 'the origins of aids'
(accessible from here:
http://freedocumentaries.org/teatro.php?filmID=123&lan=undefined&size=undefined)

that I watched and duly discussed with the old man during his short visit here
in London). It was and is still puzzling to see what may have been a working
hypothesis for some professor in the 1960s perhaps underpinning some of the
unprecedented sufferings we endure today from HIV-AIDS. While I am aware that
the evidence is inconclusive, I do believe good science does not or should not
rule out alternative hypotheses if its current methods and knowledge base are
unable to solve a given problem. I hope someone like Dr William Worodria (and
others I am not aware of) will be better placed to investigate some of these
issues in the course of their doctoral research sojourn or as a postdoctoral
research agenda.

I suppose we are faced with three main issues when dealing with experiments on
human subjects and potential consequences in the future. First, our brothers
and
sisters in the medical profession need to be able to undertake research on such
issues so that the fight back or any form of advocacy against experimentation
will be based on scientific facts they themselves would have contributed to (I
am sure one or more of our sons/daughters are already doing that but critical
mass is required in this area). Secondly and closely linked with the first
issue
is a widespread awareness of bioethical issues and the need for very strict
ethical clearance before any trials are undertaken, something that is
implemented quite rigorously in developed countries. However in the face of
weak
socio-economic stature and increasingly high moral decay where we indulge more
in satisfying out stomachs and less on the general good for society, any strict
policies on bioethics may still be good on paper but not implemented in
practice. This is where the third issue comes to mind, a civil society group
that is well versed with the scientific facts and the policy framework within
which bioethical issues operate in the country such that they can act as the
vanguard of society with respect to unethical experiments on the masses. These
are things that the WNF fraternity can in the future, take up directly or
through some of the professionals on the forum who are better able to
articulate
these issues on behalf of the people.

I have pasted below, some links from where I found some intriguing but non
mainstream information about HIV-AIDS for those who have the time to read
further.

Free Documentary about the 'secret origins of aids'
http://freedocumentaries.org/film.php?id=123

The Secret Origins of AIDS: Facts, Fallacies & Conspiracy Theories
 http://www.newdawnmagazine.com/Article/The_Secret_Origins_of_AIDS.html

A multibillion $ Quiz: Is AIDS a viral or a chemical epidemic?
http://www.duesberg.com/presentations/$bnAIDSQuiz.pdf

Human Immunodeficiency virus and acquired immunodeficiency syndrome:
Correlation
but not causation http://www.duesberg.com/about/pdpnas89.html

Questioning HIV/AIDS: Morally Reprehensible or Scientifically Warranted?:
http://www.duesberg.com/articles/new/2007,%20Bauer,%20JAPSfinal.pdf

Kind regards,

Maureen