Dear Members of the West Nile Community,

A small group of West Nile Community living in the US and a few from Canada
have formed a volunteer organization called Nile Care. The vision, mission
and goals of the organization is to try in  a small way to contribute
to improving the lives of people in the West Nile region.  Some areas the
organization hopes to focus on include Education, Health and Environment. As
a relatively young organization with few in members, our financial resources
which entirely originates from membership contributions are very limited,
As such, at present we are not  in position to undertake big projects until
such a time the organizations grows.

However, Nile Care approached a volunteer group called Voluntary Optometric
Services for Humanity (VOSH) International to come and provide FREE eye care
services or treatment to the people in West Nile who are experiencing eye
problems or vision problems. VOSH International specializes in providing Eye
Care services in the United States and they have provided Eye care Services
to many communities in the Caribbean, Central and South America in the last
30 years.  VOSH International has accepted  to come and provide FREE eye
care services to people in West Nile who are suffering from eye problems or
may have vision problems. The FREE eye care clinic will last for one week,
beginning November 13th to November 18th, 2011.  The one week clinic will be
split in two locations, two days clinic at Maracha Hospital (November 13
-14) and three days clinic at Arua Hospital (November 15 -18). This is a
great opportunity for people whose eye problems when examined may require
the use of eye glasses. Such people will be provided with FREE eye glasses
and if there are people who have glasses and need their glasses to be
adjusted, it will also be done for free. People will also be examined or
tested for blood pressure and blood sugar levels (which is a common cause
for diabetes).  Particular attention will be paid to our elderly people and
school children within the community who are experiencing eye problems and
have not been fortunate enough to afford and/or receive any eye care or
treatment, knowing the condition of our health infrastructure in the
country, especially in West Nile.

  We are aware of the fact that West Nile is a large region and these two
locations are not convenient for people in other parts of West Nile region.
As this initiative is our first community outreach with this volunteer
group, we hope to establish a strong relationship with VOSH which will
translate in their continued service to our region. This will enable us take
the services VOSH provides to to other locations of West Nile during our
next outreach. For now we would like to encourage people from other
locations of West Nile who can afford to come to these two locations to
please come and get free eye treatment. We can not visit other areas during
this trip because the time limitation of clinics which are only for 5 days.
As such it is logistically impossible for the volunteers to travel to many
locations as we all know the road conditions ,and that will mean more time
spent travelling on the road rather than providing treatment. God willing
our next visit will be to the other locations of the region.

These volunteers will buy their own return tickets to fly to Entebbe, pay by
themselves to bring medical equipment and medicines that they will use for
treating people. What we agreed with the volunteers is for Nile Care to
provide transportation from Entebbe Airport to Arua and from Arua to Entebbe
after the 5 days, their accommodation and feeding/meals for the one week
they spend in Arua.  As a voluntary organization with insufficient financial
resources, we are turning to the West Nile Community in Uganda for help to
support this community project, Whatever contribution you can make towards
this project will be very much appreciated. We are convinced that this is a
great service we are trying to provide which, in a small way  will help the
people in our community.  We are aware of the economic hardships experienced
in the current global economic recession.  We have always stepped forward
as a community to the occasion whenever there is dire need in the community.

The help we need may not necessarily be monetary, for example anyone with a
14 seater van or minibus who can volunteer to transport the VOSH volunteers
from Entebbe to Arua and back to Entebbe would be appreciated. or any one
who can be generous enough to provide accommodation for the volunteers would
also be welcome or anyone who will volunteer to provide either lunch or
Breakfast or dinner for the volunteers would be welcome. For those who will
prefer financial contributions, please make any of your contributions to the
following people; Ms. Christine Munduru  (0772688488) and Mr. Alfred Nyakuni
(Nyax) (0772373312)  for those in Arua. Mr. Aggrey Adrale has been very
helpful with providing some good ideas and clues and suggested that Mr.
Azabo (Ministry of Finance) (0772636498/070263648) would be very helpful,
and we appreciative if would be willing to help in collecting some of the
contributions. We would like to reiterate that these contributions we are
seeking will be used for transportation, accommodation and meals for the
volunteer team (14 volunteers). We therefore appeal to all of you community
members to help any amount of contribution will be very much appreciated.

We thank you for your contributing and participation in improving the lives
of people in your community.

Vasco Oguzua

President, Nile Care.