Brothers and Sisters,
It is really amazing to read all the emotional reaction sons and daughters
of West Nile have expressed due to the mediocre results in all fronts of
the education establishments in West Nile (both at primary and secondary
(O-Level and A-Level). I believe almost everyone who has contributed in
this reaction has expressed shock, anger, frustration and a sense of
disillusion with the current status of education in West Nile. Many of you
have presented a historical perspective of education in West Nile and have
viewed the current situation with the lens of the historical glory which
schools in West Nile enjoyed.
Let us try to forget about how schools in West Nile performed in the past
and look at why education has become what it now in West Nile where we are
cursing and rubbing our nose with anger.  The reasons are many and we as
the people discussing this issue here are a part of the problem. We have
been talking about education since 2009 and up to now we are still talking
and nothing has changed. The OB and OG organizations have tried and the
situation has remained the same.
Willy Ngaka, in my view has hit the heart of this issue - our basic primary
education is at the centre of this problem.If we want education in West
Nile to improve, that must be where to begin. I know there are so many
other factors that are contributing factors, but I believe whatever
solutions we arrive at to address our dilapidated educational standards
must begin with the resuscitation of basic primary education.

John, Ejiku  and others mentioned The Education Task Force that we
established in 2010. That was the first serious task West Nile Foundation
was tasked to tackle, what happened to the task force since then. I believe
this is the sense of doubt Robert expressed - we start projects which we
never follow through. We have discussed so many issues affecting our region
on this forum and nothing tangible has ever come out of these discussions.
My wonder is while the conference which everyone seems to talk about is an
excellent idea, what will be different about this conference from all the
other ideas and issues we have discussed before. I sometimes wonder why
when we have projects that involve social evenings where there is drinking
and dancing, they seem to be very successful but when we have projects that
address real life problems that affect we as a people we miserably fail to
see it through. Not that I am against the suggestion of the conference, but
I would like emphasize and challenge us on our ability to find solutions to
our problems and stick to addressing the problem however difficult the
problem may be. Especially this education issue should be something we
should try to find simple doable solutions and we begin addressing with the
idea of beginning small and we build on what we have started over time. I
bet if we had continued with the education task force up to this time, I am
sure that we would by this time be able to point at some thing we have done
to change the situation.
The conference in my view should happen, but needs to be held preferably
somewhere in West Nile so that all the stakeholders in West Nile have the
opportunity to participate and contribute, School administrators, school
management administrators, local administrative official, church leaders,
parents, students need to be invited in such a conference so that we get
input from every stakeholder,
I would like to suggest that a Committee of 10 -12 people be chosen to
conduct hearings in each districts and a conference is organized to present
the result of the hearings, and resolutions adopted during the conference
form the basis of the actions or solutions geared towards addressing the
education problem. I am aware that this is not an easy task, but if we work
as a team with  a common purpose, we shall not fail. Failing to try can not
be the answer.

Thanks,

Vasco