From: Sebastian Owilla <sebastian.owi...@mrcuganda.org>
Subject: [WestNileNet] Walking the talk to Muni University
To: "westnilenet@kym.net" <westnilenet@kym.net>
Date: Wednesday, May 15, 2013, 7:08 AM

Dear Colleagues,

It is true that quite a lot has been discussed and it is like time for
implementation is long overdue. I can sense that  some people are losing hope
and might, hold back, in future discussion. I wish to take sides:
  I agree that we need to do something now, else we shall never.
                On the other hand, West Nile, just like other regions needs
economic revival. I hear about gone days (between 1960 – 1980) during which
hard work was proven. Custodians of our taxes were trustworthy. They, to a
larger extent,
 cared for all the civil servants. Consequently, security, health, education,
and many other sectors of productivity took better shape. Which was why a pupil
sitting for PLE in Arua public or Moyo Girls would choose and make it to either
Gayaza or Sir Samuel
 Baker (later known as Pongdwongo). There was no need for a parent to go to an
HM to ‘beg’ for vacancy. You just wait for your acceptance letter by the postal
services. Today the sort of system of governance we are in is tending towards
capitalism.

I have no problem with what one does to earn a living; as long as it is morally
acceptable; we should encourage our people to work as really they are hard
working. Once upon a time, most Ma’di people sniggered
 the lugbara  communities who migrated and settled among them. Generally the
Lugbara women took to business of selling food and other merchandises. While
most Ma’di women engaged in the ‘brewery industries’ producing pkhete, wiri,
nguli, etc. The Ma’di woman
 brewing and earning a living from it, consoled herself that she was better
than a ‘Lubwari zi’ living by doing some businesses (selling tea, sumbusa,
mandazi etc). And I think the Lugbara women on their part had good reasons not
to take on the ‘industry’ of
 the Ma’di women. Each was right and at the same time wrong. Today the trend
seems to be duplicating itself across regions: the majority of the private
security guards come from either West Nile, Northern region or Lango and Teso
sub regions. Most of the workers
 in the sugar and tea plantations come from the same areas.

I love my people and value what they do to honestly earn their living. My
problem is in the situation where the hard-earned money does not get
re-invested. Our people are very innovative and look forward to a
 better future. This was exhibited in coming up with CUCUA, and ERO. While the
Lugbara people had both Ero and Cucua, the Ma’di people only depended on ero.
In capitalism, consideration should be made for continued investments, not
consuming profits. Check
 how you spend your money!!!

The point I am making is that the advent of capitalism comes with challenges
and the prices have to be paid. We need either to improve on our existing
economic activities, or phase out the obsolete ones and adopt
 rather newer alternatives. Perceptions have to change and then take advantage
of every opportunity to etch out economic values which then can be translated
in to real cash. Without economic empowerment, the sour, otherwise bitter side
of life will be the only
 alternative. This includes journey to Muni University. It is near us, but
going there requires money. Not just money to enter University, but money to go
through pre-primary education, primary, and secondary education. Some of you
know what I am taking about.
 The current form of UPE will never lay a good foundation in our children for
competitive tertiary institution. Most of the schools we have in West Nile are
depending the already failing UPE – misplaced hope. What the people in this
forum could do is to use
 the governance system already in place to suggest, but not authorise changes.
The system is like a pyramid – the rule is by the top not bottom. The private
sector thrives better that the public. That is why we need investors.  A
teacher hired to work in a
 private school in most cases deliver; however, those on the government pay
roll will not deliver – the assumption is that all graduated from EREPI TTC .

In conclusion, approach should be economic empowerment so that we can afford to
send our children to schools were teachers are well motivated.

Back to you.

Sebastian

DISCLAIMER: This message is private and confidential. If you have received this
message in error please notify us and remove it from your system. Any views and
opinions expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and do
not necessarily represent the views and opinions of MRC/UVRI Uganda Research
Unit on AIDS.