Idi Amin’s History: Can Africans
shape Africa’s Narrative?

December 15, 2014 By IdaHorner

— Leave a Comment

Speak to African immigrants and most have a few anecdotes to share
from conversations on their travels.
These conversations provide an insight into the narrative that has
been constructed about the continent. As an African immigrant, you
soon discover that, even someone that has never visited a single
African country, treats such narrative as gospel truth. This induces
all manner of emotions in us including anger, frustration, surprise
etc and can lead to heated discussions in an effort to set the record
straight.
Imagine this if you will, an English girl I used to work with said to
me, “all African children are orphans, aren’t they?
My immediate response was, and where did you hear that?
“From my English language teacher” she said.
I asked her how old she was,
“I am  23″
I told her, that her teacher was mistaken, that whilst they are
orphans in African countries, not all children on the continent are
orphans.
I was able to set the record straight in this instance.
But what if you can’t set the record straight, because you do not have
the facts?
My immigrant story and one that is guaranteed to continue for as long
as I continue to live outside of Uganda, goes something like this
- “Where do you come from?”
- From Uganda
Then I almost always get one or both of these responses:
“Aids” or “Idi Amin”.

This is usually followed by long discussions about Amin’s regime. I am
often left frustrated because my own recollection of that regime is
patchy. I was a child during Amin’s Uganda and the adults at time
didn’t talk about their experience and even today, some will not
discuss what it was like.
A week ago, I was drawn to this comment by Minna Salami’.

Hussein Amin, the son of late
Ugandan dictator Idi Amin, is
not the most objective of
persons to complain of his
father’s obituary in The
Guardian. But reading that he
has just done that, I am
thinking of the metaphoric
similarity between writing
about Africa and about Idi
Amin, which merely
encourages rudimentary
debate. If you read the
obituary that was published
in 2003, words such as
‘savage’, ‘barbaric’ and
‘animal magnetism’ jump at
you. The caricature portrayal
of Amin as a buffoon-type, in
the obituary and generally, is
so unjournalistic that it actually
detracts from the bitter truths
of his regime and from
providing a diligent analysis
for posterity. It would be
useful if the son’s request
sparks a discussion about
the quality of journalism
and/or ruthless politics
rather than yet another round
of smug ridicule. As Chinua
Achebe said, “writing which
uses emotive words and
other forms of trickery to
induce hypnotic stupor in
their reader has much more
at stake than stylistic felicity.”

I was intrigued by Minna’s comment and headed over to The Guardian to
read Amin’s obituary. I could not challenge, Hussein Amin,
Minna nor The Guardian’s  points of views as I have gaps in my own recollection.
I for instance, have a memory dating back to that time. In my mind’s
eye, I was at a boarding school in a town called Lugazi in central
Uganda and this boarding school was surrounded by a woodland. I recall
hearing gunshots emanating out of that woodland, the sort you would
hear at a firing range.
Could it be that this was the location of the mass murders Amin is
said to have committed?
Could I have imagined the incident?
I have sought the answer to this last question for several years now
and I am no where near to resolving it. I have spoken to my mother and
my older sister about it and they say it is quite possible that this
woodland was indeed a location for some of the killings but they
cannot confirm it either. This is because most of what transpired
during Amin’s Uganda is still unknown and to date some people have no
idea what became of their relatives. People just say it is Amin.
Unable to come up with a response to Hussein Amin’s challenge to The
Guardian,  I sought the views of fellow bloggers here and this is what
they had to say

Andrew Maina
I think its a little cheeky on
The Guardian’s part not to
give a bit more details on the
15 areas of the obituary that
were challenged, and on
Hussein Amin’s part to ask
for the changes for what
appears to be his own
political reputation.

Sitinga
Yes, I couldn’t tell if they were
being dismissive and it was
another attempt to control
the narrative of history or if it
was just a guy who couldn’t
face the reality of his fathers
legacy…or if it was just a case
where he can face the reality
of his fathers legacy but still
wants accuracy as he
disputes the numbers killed –
killing 80k instead of 300k –
he was not saying my father
didn’t kill anybody, he was
saying get the count straight.
I think his son should simply
write an autobiography if he
wants people to pay attention
to these disputes or an op-Ed
in the form of an open letter
to the guardian in a different
online source.

Jimmy Kainja
First of all, I don’t know what
the son wants to achieve for
asking for the collection to
the article that was published
over 10 years ago.  And by
the guardian’s explanation, it
appears the article was well
sourced and it was not based
on mere speculation or
hearsay . To me, in the
absence of contradictory
evidence, it’s impossible to
get The guardian or any
publication to do this. As
journalism goes, families ties
are not enough to contradict
recorded evidence, more so
on controversial issues such
as Idi Amin’s legacy.
I don’t know political
environment in Uganda, but
perhaps there’s a political
points to score given that the
son want to run for political office?

My take away from Minna, Andrew, Sitinga and Jimmy’s comments is that
ongoing quest for us as Africans to influence, challenge and even
control the narrative about the continent.
But as in my experience with respect to Idi Amin’s Uganda, how do we
achieve this if we are not always in possession of the facts?
Notwithstanding Hussein Amin’s family ties,