Living with the background of having been part of the first family for
eight straight years is not an easy feat.
Of course we grew up in quite a
comfortable home environment.
But though some would imagine that we lived a life of luxury and
plenty, we were quite humble compared to what we know of many first
families on our African continent.
We kept in touch with our African lifestyle and actually lived and
played like other kids especially at boarding school.
Our education was mainly in local
schools, where we learned to make
toys with boxes and participated in
school competitions with schoolmates.
While at Lake Victoria primary
school in Entebbe, I remember hiding from the driver sent to pick us
from school so that I could walk home with friends.
After separating with my friends near the Entebbe golf course, I would
branch off alone towards home and enter state house through a secret
entrance that only I knew about. Only to find pandemonium as staff
thought one of "Mzee's" children was lost.
Once when at a different school
Kabale Preparatory School, "Mzee" mentioned during a live radio
broadcast that even his children should be punished with “kiboko”
(caning) if they do wrong at school, just like other children were
punished.then.
Hearing him say that live on a transistor radio that we had been
allowed to bring to school was a hair-raising stunner that my primary
teacher Miss Kigorogoro heeded with delight.
From then on I became suspicious of her but just had to live with the
situation while at school.
It was only when it was time to share the goodies brought from home
and kept by the school
management that one could notice that we had abit more biscuits,
cornflakes, soft drinks and other cookies.
A few other families also brought some great stuff from Nairobi where
they would have spent their holidays.
As for us, supplies were purchased
by one Mugarura, a huge man with
thick strong arms who was
responsible for all the foods and
beverages supplies in the state lodges.
We loved his office because right
behind it was the ever full-to-
capacity store with all sorts of eats
and drinks.
The problem was that he sat in his
office with the keys to the store
constantly in sight on his desk.
Though once in a while he would
give in to our pleas and offer us
some nice goodies when it wasn't
time for tea or breakfast, we
sometimes felt we had to attempt
secret incursions while he went to
follow-up on other chores and
forgot the stores door open.
On those days, we would first wait
quietly in one of the corners until
he would return to his desk, finish
whatever he was doing and
unknowingly lock us inside before
going off to other duties.
Then all of a sudden it would feel like heaven!
We would start walking around the
lanes like one does in a supermarket, picking, tasting and exploring
whatever we liked and spitting out whatever was bitter or disgusting
to our taste.
That would continue for hours, only to be woken up by an unsuspecting
staff who would first get the shock of his life on finding one or two
kids laying still on the floor inside the "supermarket." We would be
sleeping with full stomachs.
Departure for holidays was also
one of those times when we were
obviously catered for differently from other kids.
Children would be eagerly waiting
next to their luggage for their parents to arrive and take them home.
Suddenly a guarded convoy of five
or six vehicles would appear
around the corner and drive straight to the waiting area where
everyone stood looking out for their parents.
It is then that we would suddenly
switch from ordinary Ugandan kid.
The security guards would carry our luggage to the vehicles while we
hurried to get a good place in whatever vehicle we thought was capable
of "winning the race home”.
There was usually choice between
Mercedes Benz, Peugeot and Range
Rover’s.
The last vehicle in the convoy was
always a military Land Rover with
telecommunications antennas
swagging in the air at every corner.
Sometimes we got the surprise of a
helicopter sent to take us back home from boarding school.
To-date, I suspect this was when
they forgot about our holidays and
would hurriedly scramble the fastest form of transport that could get
there in time.
However, we viewed the helicopter
as the ultimate experience as we
would enjoy “overtaking” from the
air.
We could see the vehicles moving
the way ants follow each other as
we flew overhead in the vibration
of the helicopter. What a delight!
Even when we went by road, the
convoy sped past all our good friends one after the other until we
reached at another state lodge half way down the road where we would
stop for lunch.
William, a short man hailing from
Fort Portal and who to-date has
remained a family friend, was the
care taker and he would cook one
of the huge chicken that roamed
freely in the back of the compound.
So enormous they were that there
was a thud at every step they would
take when we chased them around.
After filling our stomachs with the
chicken, pilawo, beef, matooke,
greens, chapati...etc. we would set
off for the last stretch to Kampala.
Again we would overtake our friends who had passed ahead while we were
eating the gigantic chicken.
I would then be frantically expressing elation at overtaking school buddies.
Like many of my age, today I have
outgrown the thrill of inflicting
"overtaking" on other road users.
But once in a while I enjoy it silently while it is happening.

--
Hussein Juruga Lumumba Amin
Kampala, Uganda