Idi Amin vs British Dishonesty On Asians In Africa.

Picture: Amin talking to journalists at the now Sheraton swimming pool. He
had jokingly dived in the water with his night pyjamas.

SHARE BOOKMARK PRINT RATING

By Hussein Lumumba Amin
Posted Wednesday at 01:00
SHARE THIS STORY
Tweet

I was amazed to read news reports about Britain socially fighting with
itself on the issue of Asians in the UK.
There were furious comments against a former Ugandan Asian lady, Yasmine
Alibhai who had written about state-inspired oppression of Asians by
British police, with the tacit approval of prominent UK politicians.
Suddenly, there were also attempts by some British, including apparent
Asian hangers-on, to white-wash Britain of xenophobia and racism by blaming
the whole matter on Idi Amin.
One Will Black, actually an Asian who has changed his name to appear more
British "than though" wrote a seemingly desparate editorial piece
explaining how holy the UK was and that Idi Amin must be the problem. As he
says this, he is probably being called a banana by the beer guzzling white
fraternity at the pub (a banana being an Asian who tries to speak English
better than the Queens subjects).
Britain and its Asians, while socially fighting themselves in 2014, still
refuse to acknowledge the political realities and shortcomings (both
historical and contemporary).
But first, let’s face it. Native Britons can be understood for feeling
overwhelmed by foreign cultures taking an increasingly larger portion of
their physical, social and economic environment. Every culture is
fundamentally protective of its roots.
However, Ms Alhibai-Brown defending her rights and freedoms from harassment
by police and the state is a message that says: “Hey! We are British now.
Suck it up.”
Many Asians from Uganda were British as they left, right? They abandoned
their dual nationality after being given the choice by Amin.
By the way, Amin called himself ‘Conqueror of the British Empire’ exactly
because he chased specifically the British from Uganda. And it is after
that expulsion that it became clear to what extent Britain had still owned
the Ugandan economy through a proxy: Asians with British passports.
In today’s UK, the issue of Asians is an easy excuse for writers to brush
under the rug their dislike for British Asians by discussing the 1972
deportation.
But what is less understood by British natives, especially the many who
quietly dislike foreigners, is that their feelings towards Asians are
similar to what East Africans felt before and after independence in regard
to them "taking over everything” as some Brits angrily say today.
And that is why I question the lack of historical narrative on the genuine
African concerns post-independence.
It seems Britain conveniently refuses to face the mirror to see themselves
acting like little despots as they forced tough labour and stringent
economic conditions on native Ugandans in the colonial and post-colonial
era. Thereby leading to social tensions that culminated in the deportation
of Asians in a justified act of economic empowerment for Ugandans.
British historical records have shown that East Africa’s entire economy was
handed to the Asian community by colonial
Britain in a despicable policy that deliberately confined the African
native to remaining a third class citizen in his/her own country (with the
white British colonialist at the political top, followed by the Asians on
the economy, then the Africans as the workforce).
Having initially been exiled to Africa by Her Majesty's government in
slave-like conditions, it would have been
appropriate for Britain to return the Asian economic migrants home after
their work in building the railway line or whatever other construction
purpose they were brought to Africa for.
In all fairness, wasn’t it for Britain to either offer them sanctuary or
return them to their true ancestral homes?
Plus why disallow Africans to be part of their economy and politics except
as casual labourers.
>From 1962, and after all three East African countries had become
independent, there was
immense pressure from the native peoples to correct this economic and
social imbalance. The sometimes harsh treatment Africans suffered at the
hands of
many Asian employers fueled the resulting social tensions. In one of her
columns in UK’s Independent newspaper, Ms Alibhai, while recounting her
childhood in Uganda, admitted that she, her family, and Ugandan Asians,
"constantly expressed hostility and contempt for black Ugandans whose
country they were living in." Is it some sort of Karma that she and others
are all silently facing that very situation from Britain?
But to put the Ugandan perspective in its proper historical context, all
this was happening even before Idi Amin.
He wasn’t there in 1969 when East African leaders first decided on the
expulsion. A decision that only came after Britain refused to discuss and
resolve the matter through political dialogue.
Todate the thousands who were expelled from Kenya and Tanzania remain
largely unreported. Yet they did happen before Idi Amin.
Amin took over power in 1971, then also did what he did best - take action.
Basically, if you forget your wallet in my house after enjoying a lively
dinner, the right thing for me to do would be to send you your property,
right?
That's what Asians were to the British. Their economic tool for economic
exploitation.
I sympathise with Asians for enduring the effects of a forced departure.
However, it was genuine celebrations for Ugandans regardless of what they
did with their economy after. At least they now had a fair chance to take
control of their destiny and learn, even if through trial and error.
And while we are quick to say that the country’s economy declined after
Asians left Uganda, few are willing to explain that it was mainly caused by
an embargo by the West who made sure Uganda had difficulties importing
spare parts for its industries from them.
Because in sectors where we were able to thrive, we did.
Construction was a booming sector during the Amin days. Agriculture
continued unabated. Ugandan coffee always found a ready market.
Telecommunications developed so rapidly that Uganda was the second African
country to have colour television. With newly installed satellite capacity,
we were able to watch live international events being broadcast from
anywhere in the world. Radio Uganda became the first African station with
worldwide coverage on shortwave, medium wave and Fm, thereby reaching every
corner of the globe. Roads, bridges, schools, airstrips, health facilities
and government hotels and administrative units were sprouting around the
country.
So when they claim that salt was difficult to find, yes it was. Just salt.
And it was those feverishly campaigning against Amin, who first ensured
that it wasn't available, then started making it an issue. Yet it could not
have been one without their malice.
More importantly, we are yet to hear one single economics expert offer an
alternative solution that would have helped native Ugandans become major
economic actors in their country. Because what we are still hearing out
there is as if to suggest that the British injustice where Asians
deliberately controlled our entire economy was the only and best situation
for Uganda. That clearly was and still is totally unacceptable to any
African.
In the meantime, let’s compare the Asians saga with the plight of economic
migrants who are summarily deported from the UK every day these days. If
the numbers could be consolidated, xenophobia would be British. Even
historically, Her Majesty’s government first forcefully exiled Asian slaves
to Africa in far worse conditions. Comparatively, Idi Amin put them in
passenger jets and sent them to the developed first world where they have
thrived to the extent of appreciating the blessing in disguise. Though they
have to ensure that tears are seen on their cheeks for hurriedly leaving
their so-called "beloved Uganda".
I am yet to hear them cry similarly about Britain forcing them from their
true ancestral Asia.
The UK is now confronted with the very issues it so conspicuously diverted
away from herself after African independence: The people it first
horrendously exiled from Asia to Africa.
Seeing how the UK still attempts to place that portion of blame on Amin, I
doubt they will ever declare "We were wrong from the very beginning on the
Asians".

Mr Hussein Lumumba Amin. Son of former Ugandan President Al Hajji Field
Marshal Dr. Idi Amin Dada.
husseinjur...@gmail.com

monitor.co.ug/OpEd/Commentary/British-are-dishonest-on-the-question-of-Asians-in-East-Africa/-/689364/2280930/-/1sijbg/-/index.html