(Picture: Daily Mail UK reporter smiles for the camera during a tour with
Amin.)

Idi Amin met journalists quite regularly and actually made an extra effort
for them. Many would be taken around the countryside and have a great time
in Uganda. They could be found completely drunk at Kampala's poshest bars
in the evening. Or eating and laughing whole heartedly at the best
restaurants. They slept at the International hotel, the Grand Imperial, or
the victorian Speke Hotel.
However, once Western journalists returned to Europe, they would literally
stab him in the back.
The reports that most of the British journalists would write, were in total
contrast to the Amin they met or the Uganda they toured. Once home, they'd
indulge in the most malicious and unprofessional news writing. Particularly
editing out whatever didn't fit the bad image they needed to tag on him.
I had a nice interview once with a British journalist Jean McFarlane. We
discussed Amin, our family and Uganda. It was all recorded on tape. But
once I saw the finished documentary, I understood straight away what my
father went through and what these good people did to him through the
media. Jean had told me something else initially, but what she then
produced as a story left me in total disbelief. Everything important that I
had endeavoured to explain for a whole hour by her own asking, was
summarily deleted.
Basically, what you all see in the media about Idi Amin is the best example
of a successfully coordinated meticulous effort in character assassination
by smiling, yet dangerous white supremacism.

Written by Hussein J. L. Amin