On This Day 14 Years Ago...

Picture (attached): President Idi Amin with my siblings at Mount Arafat in
Saudi Arabia (1983). As millions of Muslims from around the world start
departing for this years Hajj pilgrimage, this is the very spot in the
desert near Mecca where they are heading to.

Exactly 14 years ago today, my father His Excellency Al Hajj Field Marshal
Idi Amin passed away in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.
August 16th 2003 will remain a day of sadness in the hearts of Ugandans and
Africans who knew him as a true nationalist who strived for Ugandans, and
who also took on pan-Africanism and it's struggles against neo-colonialism
and imperialism across the African continent.
The reason I chose this simple family photo is because as I was looking at
it, I realized that 20 years after it was taken, and out of all his
children, it is these very three boys plus myself who would be by his side,
now grown men, looking after him during his last days.
Indeed, according to Muslim tradition, it is also the four of us who would
lead the funeral procession upto the cemetery with family friends, Saudi
officials, African diplomats, and well-wishers.
I urge everyone not to abandon their parents, and I ask all parents to
always nurture their relations with their children. That way your own
loving children, even when grown, married and living their own lives, will
make sure they come back and be there for you when it matters most. It is
their religious and family duty.
On August 16th 2003, I also remember one unknown West African youth who was
walking by in the area, and when he was told whose funeral cortege it was,
he insisted on entering the security perimeter, joining us and carrying the
casket from the Mosque, through the street, and up to the cemetary. I
actually let him take my place momentarily due to his genuine insistence in
recognition of my fathers efforts for Africa.
The King of Saudi Arabia who was on a state visit to Paris at the time was
represented at the funeral by the Crown Prince Sultan bin Abdul Aziz,
though King Abdullah himself did make a phone call to us to offer his
condolences.
The Janaza prayers (the Special Islamic prayers for the departed) was held
for him at the three holiest Islamic sites: The Grand Mosque in Mecca, at
the Mosque of the Prophet in Medina, and at the Al Aqsa Mosque in
Jerusalem, with thousands of people in attendance
I would once again like to sincerely thank the Saudi Royal Family, the
government and the brotherly people of Saudi Arabia for the exceptional
hospitality, security and care offered to my father during the 22 years
that he lived peacefully in retirement in their country. We the Amin family
consider Saudi Arabia as our second home, and I sincerely hope that the
economic and political ties between the two countries, Uganda and Saudi
Arabia, will continue to strengthen for the benefit of both nations
peoples.
I would also like to thank the people of Uganda, especially the youths, for
recognizing my fathers incorruptible patriotism, and the historic efforts
he made for his country, for the people of Uganda, and for the people of
Africa. May the Almighty bless his soul and this nation.

To God We Will All Return.

Signed: Hussein Lumumba Amin