Hello everyone,

I am cordially inviting you all, my brothers, to join me on a one day fasting on Friday, October 5, 2017. It is recommended that the fasting start from 6:00 am and end at 6:00pm.. This one day fast is organized by the Moose Hide Campaign (MHC),  which is a grassroots movement of Canadian Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal Men who are standing up against violence towards women and children in their communities. The one day fasting is meant to signify personal commitment, action and purpose to honour and protect the women and children in each participant's life.

Although the campaign started in 2011, it was only this year that I learned of it through our annual Government of Canada Workplace Charitable Campaign. Follow this link for more information including presentations on the MHC. http://moosehidecampaign.ca/

As you are all aware, we are no strangers to violence in Koboko, in West Nile or in Uganda since it is endemic in our homes, communities, institutions including the National Parliament! Some people have argued that the leadership crises in African countries is a direct result of the violence that many of our people experience as children, as women, as elderly, as people with disabilities. That African communities do not teach or focus on peaceful conflict resolution methods. Africans usually resort to the law of the jungle where an individual’s strength determines who will win in any conflict situation. Remember when you were growing up as a child, you mom would spank you and if you cry, she will spank you more. And when father comes home from his drinking binge, he will spank you more if mother told her that you were up to mischief. And after giving you a proper beating, he turns on to mother because his supper was too cold to eat at MIDNIGHT! You all get my drift.

So from an early age we are exposed to violence and many believe that it is the only way to resolve conflicts or misunderstandings. ‎Just see what happened in Parliament this week!!

I would be grateful if you brothers can respond positively to this initiative.

Please spread the word and hopefully we can all ensure this is an annual event that can be held on the first Friday of every October. We would like to know how many will take the challenge and fast.

Happy fasting! ‎(Sisters, please make ‎sure lunch is only served for children, elderly, the sick and yourselves on October 5)‎!