Doing the right thing is not always easy. Even when many will not
understand. They do not realize how difficult it is to let go of the weight
of strong toxic positions that one held dearly, and also how difficult it
is to let go of serious legitimate grievances that one suffered. All that
so as to create a clean slate with a conducive environment where dialogue
and understanding can occur, and the country moves on to its other pressing
challenges.
I therefore fully appreciate the true level of difficulty in deciding to
meet and reconcile major differences. Especially given the harsh rhetoric
that has been prevailing since their August elections.
There are many people out there who might not like the reconciliation that
took place. Others have even turned to mocking their two leaders. Obviously
such are people who were gleefully hoping for the worst.
Having major differences does not mean people have to kill each other.
Sensible human beings can always find sensible ways to resolve issues and
move on rather than remain permanently stuck in a dilemma. That is why you
wrote a new constitution in 2010. Shouldn't Africans stop banana republic
politics? Shouldn't we abandon the out-dated politics of permanent hatred,
constant grumbling, tribalism, anarchy, and the thirst for each others
blood?
A country like DR Congo would do well with such a meeting between their two
political enemies.
Even Uganda, Rwanda, Cameroon, Gabon, Ethiopia, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea,
Eritrea, and a few other nations (including now the US and Russia) which
suffer this syndrome where internal political enemity almost means that we
will hate our political opponents to our graves. What else does that
behaviour result in except backwardness and political stagnation?
All Kenyans should therefore back the new developments. Your point has been
made and you can use it to improve things for the future instead of
clinging to the disturbing myopia that wishes an evil situation to prevail.
How does that help you honestly? Even God blesses any situation that
quashes the mounting enemity between citizens.
We all need more civility, more compromise, genuine constitutionalism, and
the true rule of law. Even us here in Uganda who are obviously still far
behind compared to Kenya as we wallow in permanent political greed and
shameless lies in broad daylight plus the related sectarianism, blatant
malice and record political treachery across the entire political spectrum.
Yet this country can be far better than it's current political and economic
limitations.

Again congratulations!

Hussein Lumumba Amin
Kampala, Uganda