When we discuss oil production, a paradox develops in regards to
environmental preservation policies, Oil. like all fossil fuels, is
one of the most polluting products because of the millions of tons of
carbon dioxide emissions that oil products put into the atmosphere
globally every year, thereby causing climate change.
So when we claim to fight climate change yet the country is putting
all its hopes for the future on starting oil production as soon as
possible, we have to be more pragmatic and efficient about the
paradox. Especially as a tiny and poor Third world country that needs
to protect its environment and also uplift the standards of living of
its people simultaneously through development.
We therefore need to be smarter and more efficient in our oil production..
Remember that Uganda's oil reserves estimates are around 5 billion
barrels of oil in the ground. And only 1 billion barrels from that
total amount is extractable.
Which means that more than 4 billion barrels of Uganda's oil reserves
will remain underground and will never be extracted or commercialized.
In economic terms, this means a high production cost for the little
oil that we will be able to produce.
However with the increasing amount of innovative research going on
globally around fighting climate change, new technologies are emerging
including in oil production.
For example, there are now ways to use carbon dioxide, the main
culprit causing climate change, to help oil extraction. So Uganda
should look at any new possibilities that mitigate oil production in
regards to fighting climate change. Including the new technologies
which could re-insert carbon dioxide into the soil where the 4 billion
barrels of inextricable oil are located. What happens biochemically is
that the carbon dioxide then dissolves the oil that is stuck
underground and easily brings it up for production and refining.
At this juncture where countries are looking for ways to transition
from carbon heavy pollutants to cleaner energies so as to reduce
carbon emissions, this temporary system helps make use of the very
carbon dioxide that is causing climate change, while helping in oil
extraction simultaneously. A form of recycling which ends up helping
to clean the atmosphere.
It definitely helps advance the research and market of new
technologies that capture and remove carbon dioxide from the
atmosphere for meaningful use.
In Uganda's case it will also mean more productivity from the limited
oil resources. From just one billion barrels, we will be able to
extract the entire 5 billion barrels of the country's total oil
reserves. This means at least four times more oil income than what the
country is expecting today.

By Hussein Lumumba Amin
17/02/2018