For the record, it was on February 14th that President Idi Amin publicly
announced the discovery of the weapons being hidden by the late Archbishop
Janan Luwum. However, recently during the launch of URA's new headquarters
on 20th January 2019, Museveni inadvertently told the gathering how he and
dictator Milton Obote smuggled these weapons into Uganda...so as to try and
bring back the 1966 Obote dictatorship and impose it on Ugandans (
softpower.ug/i-exploited-customs-inefficiency-to-smuggle-guns-museveni/)
Museveni reportedly said "his associate [meaning exiled dictator Milton
Obote] smuggled 96 riffles, 8 RPGs, 5 FN machine guns and 100 landmines
which he had hidden under a truck, into Uganda."
These are the very weapons that were on display at the Nile Hotel public
hearing (see picture in previous post). Back in 1977, I actually saw the
truck and these same weapons with my own eyes the day they were found. On
the afternoon of February 12th 1977, we passed by the Archbishop's
residence on our way to Entebbe after security services communicated to
their colleagues that they had just discovered the cache hidden under a
false floor on the trucks payload section. The weapons had been spread on
the trucks floor, then a metal sheet had been welded on top to hide them.
That is reportedly why security services missed it the first time when they
searched the residence.
The truck was blue in color with a fake Pepsi Cola logo painted on the
doors as cover. These weapons were reportedly originally shipped to
Tanzania as part of the combined African nations effort to help liberate
Zimbabwe, Rhodesia and South Africa from Apartheid and colonialism. Julius
Nyerere was instead picking some of the weapons and giving them to Obote to
fight President Idi Amin. This despite the fact that Amin was the leader
who actually proposed the military support to African liberation movements
in the first place, and helped choose Tanzania as the best located country
to channel the support to the famous "frontline states" like Angola and
Mozambique where African liberation movements could train and launch their
attacks against the colonialists and the fascist Apartheid regime.
In summary, all that Janan Luwum stood for was treachery to bring back his
ethnic group to power using the innocent Church, and then impose tribalism
and religious sectarianism political ideology on Ugandans. The very
behaviour we would all later see in the 1980's when Obote actually returned
to Uganda with his tribal UNLA rebel group. All that they were fighting for
was just to bring back their Obote.

Read the New Vision's 'On this Day's story for today:

facebook.com/329423169077/posts/10157215254489078/