Fellow citizens,

As we all know, the Forum for Democratic Change (FDC) political party is
angry against the leaders of Uganda's Democratic Party (DP) for refusing to
handover to them the supposedly rotating leadership of IPOD (the
Inter-Party Organization for Dialogue) as was previously arranged.
This country's experience with multiparty democracy is turning out to be a
farce that is plagued with infighting, simple greeds and huge ego's.
Previously, the country has for example heard news reports of political
schemes to have opposition political parties "disappeared by 2020". One
would have imagined that the state would be keen to preserve multipartyism
as an ideology, a national value and a national political infrastructure
key to the growth of democracy and freedoms in this country.
What we are instead seeing is the collapse of this fragile, cosmetic
political dispensation and the total dwindling of the honourable political
culture that promotes principles like dignity, compassion, equality and
moral uprightness in society.
I have previously stated that Uganda's multi-party democracy can only
flourish as designed under a ceremonial presidency as was originally the
case at independence. Especially given our society's dangerous
understanding of what power means, and what it is for. While political
power is supposed to be exercised for the people, the press is awash with
examples of inflated ego's across society and at all levels of
responsibility including from the last IPOD leaders family photo in March
2019, to low-level public servants, shop attendants and even at bank
tellers where instead of focusing on being more productive at their work
serving their clients (the people) and playing by the established rules,
some individuals are enjoying the little power of the small positions they
occupy by deliberately ignore and even oppress those who are waiting in
line for their services, yet in most cases these individuals are actually
paid a salary to do their job under clear, limited terms and conditions.
While the general culture thinks of power as simly being the boss sitting
there doing nothing except ordering people around and enjoying free perks,
professionalism says that even the boss has a job/tasks to do. And the
higher the position, the greater the responsibility.
The recent refusal by the DP leadership to handover IPOD is like someone
failing a simple leadership test. An indication that DP (the country's
Democratic Party) could instead be DP, the 'Dictatorship Party in waiting'.
It's democracy sheep skin is getting off prematurely.
The Inter-Party Organization for Dialogue is funded by Netherlands,
therefore it's leaders are not really answerable to the people of Uganda
despite the perceived good intentions the organization claims it has
towards good governance in this country. IPOD has turned into a cash cow,
or an ATM machine where some "free donor funds" are available to the
political parties that have a seat in parliament. What that money actually
does for the people of Uganda, for the political parties involved, or where
the funds end up, is anyone's guess.
I therefore request the Netherlands to avail Ugandans with the
accountability of their political donations and it's true impact on
governance in this country.
Currently it can be noted that political stagnation, political regression
and political repression all combine to be the order of the day. The
Constitution has been changed several times in the last 15 years to
entrench the regime of the day (a behaviour that started in Uganda in 2005
and has now spread to many countries across the continent). We have also
seen actions like a political party being sold to a new secretary general.
Clearly there is  free IPOD money that people could simply be aiming for
with such unethical transactions and/or registration of new political
parties which in reality do not add any value to Uganda or to democracy.
So what is the true impact of IPOD in Uganda's politics?
Listening to one of the FDC leaders speaking last week, it seems that IPOD
was initially created as a platform to discuss political transition.
However today IPOD now seems to be DP's training ground for learning how to
cling to power.
And despite all the beautiful rhetoric about democratic values, if the DP's
leadership is already finding excuses for not handing over IPOD peacefully
to a fellow political party as agreed, imagine what this same DP leadership
would do to the coffers of the state and to the people of Uganda if they
ever accessed the far more lucrative and far more powerful Presidency of
the Republic!?!
In regards to the highest office of the land, allow me to repeat to the
people of Uganda, to all our political leaders regardless of political
affiliation, and to civil society organizations involved in the political
discourse of this country, that as a nation aspiring to establish
governance by the true will of the people, a nation seeking long term
political freedoms, long term socio-political stability, long term
political & ideological discipline, and long term unfettered economic
growth, Uganda needs to start thinking very seriously about the political
framework that exists today and if it can stand the test of time for
centuries to come. What is based on an individual can barely survive after
that individual.
That is why I have been advocating for a national discussion about
reverting to the more sober ceremonial presidency as was the case at
independence. Countries like Israel, Ethiopia and Italy have a successful
working experience of this kind of democratic dispensation which is perfect
vfor our conditions. We only failed because of our inexperience back in
1966. Remember it was just four years after independence that the system
was dismantled to usher in Mr. Milton Obote's first dictatorship. Remember
that at the time the ceremonial president was also a cultural king who had
never been in a position where executive powers we're in the hands of a
person supposedly under him yet he was the president. However those
disturbing events must serve a purpose. They are actually the lesson
learned about national political immaturity and possible weaknesses in
leadership which resulted in the use of the army by politicians for
internal political gain, particularly against political opponents.
I can offer to be the first ceremonial leader if nobody in this country is
interested in such a non-executive position. The danger we face as a nation
is that I see many tiny despots waiting for presidential power as proved by
DP in the current IPOD presidency saga. Some of them might not even be
aware that this is what they are and will become once in power. Of course
UPC, even though it is a political party, it is actually the father of
dictatorship and misrule in this country starting from their 1966 coup
against the legitimate ceremonial president Sir Edward Muteesa, just four
years after independence. So we all know them no matter how eloquent and
democratic their speeches might make them seem.
But if nothing is done to permanently improve the foundations of good
governance in this country, it will of course be political opponents, the
coffers of the state and the people of this country who will continuously
suffer regardless of who is in power. That is why I call for a national
debate on re-establishing the more sober but durable and lasting governance
safeguards that guarantee institutionalism, that value professionalism in
state institutions, and permanently secure clearly stipulated separation of
powers between all the institutions of the state. The earlier we start
having this discussion, the better it will be for all the people of this
country regardless of political affiliation, and all the generations of
Ugandans to come.

Thank you.

Signed: Mr. Hussein Lumumba Amin
Tuesday October 29th 2019