Andre,

>Shrug. Anyone who wants to capture the output of a program for
>unattended operation (which is what I think Eddy wants)

No, for that you can use wget's -a option.

>generally has to catch both stdout and stderr anyway. So does it
>matter much how much of it goes to stdout vs. stderr ?

>If you're doing wget > 2>&1, there's no surprise.

I use:

wget URL '2>>&1 | tee /a' LogFile

which works fine. The tee utility sends the output to stdout (which I display on
screen) and to a logfile for later reference (for example in case of a problem, or
to automatically - in a script - decide if the download has succeeded).

>If your shell is command.com, you might see things differently. ;-)

Luckily, command.com is not the shell I use. ;-)

               ,,,,
              (o o)
  email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
         [EMAIL PROTECTED]