Quoting Dan Harkless ([EMAIL PROTECTED]):

> > The whole screw-up happens because SSL libraries are in /usr/local/lib.
> > Pretty standard place, don't you think?
>
> Yup.  It's not the default for OpenSSL, though.  It installs in
> /usr/local/ssl/lib by default.  As `configure --help' tells you:

Well, as a "normal" user I would expect the configure script will be
able to cope with the fact that OpenSSL has been installed in a more
or less "standard" system path.

On my RedHat linux the current Makefile still compile with
-I/usr/local/ssl/include, and links with -L/usr/local/ssl/lib even if
there is no such a directory on my system. It works, of course, as on
RedHat installs OpenSSL into /usr/lib.

> It would be very easy to modify configure to try a couple more
> directories for SSL_ROOT besides the default /usr/local/ssl.  In
> fact, I was expecting to add automatic checks for /usr/local and
> /usr in my second pass at this.

I would really plead for the libssl check looking for the library not
only in /usr/local/ssl/lib, but also at least in /usr/lib and
/usr/local/lib (and maybe /opt/lib or /opt/ssl/lib and
/usr/freeware/lib - the latter being SGI specific) and setting the
include paths and library paths appropriately.

-- jan

 Jan Prikryl        | vr|vis center for virtual reality and visualisation
 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> | http://www.vrvis.at