The ssl support is much appreciated in wget 1.7.  But there is a problem
with the configure support that makes it think ssl can't be used, at
least with gcc 2.95.2 on my redhat 6.2 system:

    configure:3660: checking for RSA_new in -lcrypto
    configure:3679: gcc -o conftest -g -O2  -L/usr/local/openssl/lib -rpath
/usr/local/openssl/lib  conftest.c -lcrypto   1>&5
    gcc: unrecognized option `-rpath'
    /usr/local/openssl/lib: file not recognized: Is a directory

This comes from configure:

  decosf* | linux* | irix*) dash_r="-rpath " ;;

-rpath isn't recognized directly by gcc as far as I can tell.
-Wl,-rpath works, though.  I suspect the same would be needed on irix
and decosf but don't know for sure.  -R is recognized directly by gcc on
Solaris, so that part is ok.

Thanks,
karl