On Solaris 2.6 and 2.7 (without sufficient patches), openssl doesn't
have enough built-in randomness (see error message below).

It's possible to make the openssl cmdline utility work by setting
RANDFILE to a file containing lots of random data, but wget does not
look at this, as far as I can tell.  openssh has its own fairly
complicated method of running a bunch of commands to seed the random
number generator, which wget also doesn't have (as far as I can tell).
I don't know what lynx does, or other ssl clients.

Anyway, right now wget ssl basically doesn't function on solaris (for me
at least) -- installing the patches on all the dozens of machines at my
sites is not practical and anyway has undesirable side effects, from
what I can tell.  The entropy-daemon approach doesn't appeal either.

Any chance of having it use RANDFILE, at least, or some other way of
telling it where to find some random bytes?

Thanks,
karl

P.S. The error message in question is:
16499:error:24064064:random number generator:SSLEAY_RAND_BYTES:PRNG not
seeded:md_rand.c:474:You need to read the OpenSSL FAQ,
http://www.openssl.org/support/faq.html
(And yes, I've read the faq numerous times :)