> Compiling wget on a Mac G3, OS 8.6, MachTen 4.1.1.
>
> After converting the un-tarred files from Mac to UNIX, and running
> ./configure, typing make yields the following:

Did you use Stuffit Expander or some other Mac program to do your un-tar-ing?
If so, that's probably the root of your problem. I suggest you download the
tar file again and un-tar it using the MachTen tar command (I presume it has
one; if it doesn't download GNU tar) using the MachTen command line.

You'd probably get better help if you asked on the MachTen UseNet group or
some MachTen web forum...