On 9 Apr 2002 at 10:34, Hrvoje Niksic wrote:

> "Ian Abbott" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > On 5 Apr 2002 at 18:17, Noel Koethe wrote:
> >> Will this be changed so the user could use -nv with >/dev/null
> >> and get only errors or warnings displayed?
> >
> > So what I think you want is for any log message tagged as
> > LOG_VERBOSE (verbose information) or LOG_NONVERBOSE (basic
> > information) in the source to go to stdout when no log file has been
> > specified and the `-O -' option has not been used and for everything
> > else to go to stderr?
>
> That change sounds dangerous.  Current Wget output doesn't really have
> a concept of "errors" that would be really separate from other output;
> it only operates on the level of "verbosity".  This was, of course, a
> bad design decision, and I agree that steps need to be taken to change
> it.  I'm just not sure that this is the right step.

Neither am I, but I knocked up the patch on a whim.

> Suddenly `wget -o X' is no longer equivalent to `wget 2>x', which
> violates the Principle of Least Surprise.

Perhaps we just need a --log-level=N option:

Level 0: output just the LOG_ALWAYS messages.
Level 1: output the above and LOG_NOTQUIET messages.
Level 2: output the above and LOG_NONVERBOSE messages.
Level 3: output the above and LOG_VERBOSE messages.

The --verbose option would be equivalent to --log-level=3 (the
default).

The --non-verbose option would be equivalent to --log-level=2.

The --quiet option would be equivalent to --log-level=1.

Noel would specify --log-level=1 to get the output he wants.

How does that sound?