On Tue, 16 Apr 2002, R.I.P. Deaddog wrote:

> > I wonder why the Debian people never upgraded it.  Hmm.
>
> Upgrading gettext to 0.11.x involves a lot of work;
> in particular, libintl.so has increased library major
> version (API changed? I don't know). So quite many apps
> have to be recompiled. Probably nobody dare to take the
> task :)

 For non-broken system libraries such as glibc 2.2.x libintl.so is not
needed at all, as the support is integrated into libc.  It's only a
replacement add-on library for broken ones.

 For my glibc 2.2.x systems gettext 0.11.1 only provides libgettextlib.so
and libgettextsrc.so shared libraries and they are only used by itself and
not for applications.

 Even if you have a broken system, you may still keep one version of
libintl.so for existing binaries and use another one for new development
(as usually).

+        e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED], PGP key available        +