On Tue, 12 Aug 2003, Tony Lewis wrote:

> Daniel Stenberg wrote:
>
> > The GNU project is looking for a new maintainer for wget, as the
> > current one wishes to step down.
>
> I think that means we need someone who:
>
> 1) is proficient in C
> 2) knows Internet protocols
> 3) is willing to learn the intricacies of wget
> 4) has the time to go through months' worth of email and patches
> 5) expects to have time to continue to maintain wget
>
> Anyone here think they fit that bill?
>
> (Feel free to add to my suggestions about what kind of person we need.)

 2a) All of them. :)
     (Is familiar with application-level network protocols, web standards
     and their usage, correct or otherwise .  For an example see the HTML
     comments thread.  Knows (X)HTML and familiar with other web media
     formats.)
 6) Will move Wget sources to the savannah(.gnu.org)
 7) Has the patience to work with the Wget source which likely burnt out
   the previous maintainers.  <smiley>
 7) Understands the need to redesign Wget, someday.. soon <smiley>
 8) Supports free software!  whee!

it seems like there's a lot of hackers, bug-reporters, users and
supporters who could collectively accomplish a lot of the work, we really
just need an all-knowing philosopher-queen or king to not necessarily do a
whole lot of work, but just have an active CVS account.  so as technically
threatening as the Wget maintainer application looks, we could currently
most benefit from a trusted soul.

/a