On Thu, 11 Sep 2003, Mauro Tortonesi wrote:

> > One of the design goals of Autoconf was to avoid the fallacy of older
> > tools that had complex product databases that had to be maintained by
> > hand.  Instead, most Autoconf tests try to check for features.  The
> > exception are cases when such checks are not possible or feasible.
> > This might or might not be the case here.  So if it really takes too
> > long or it's just too hard to write a check, then we'll use a version
> > of IN6_GUESS_STACK.
>
> well, i like your "simply find libinet6 and check if its getaddrinfo is
> better" approach. i'll try to implement it.

 Please keep cross-compilations in mind.  The simplest approach that works
is to use a cache variable (wget_cv_<name>) for every result of
AC_RUN_IFELSE or a whole test containig these calls -- it can then be
overriden upon running the configure script based on a user's experience
with a specific host.  I can do appropriate tests when you have a patch
ready.

 I suppose glibc 2.3.x should have getaddrinfo() fixed.  There used to be
a lot of inconsistency in IPv6: based on collected experience common
practices disagreed with written standards.  Once these issues are
resolved, glibc will follow; I hope this already happened.

+        e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED], PGP key available        +