After ploughing through the archives of this mailing list, looking for additional clues why wget 1.8.2 wasn't linking correctly, I found that wget 1.9 beta 5 was released recently. I downloaded the source code for wget 1.9 beta 5 and am getting the same link problems I was getting with 1.8.2:

/bin/sh ../libtool --mode=link gcc -O2 -Wall -Wno-implicit -o wget cmpt.o connect.o convert.o cookies.o ftp.o ftp-basic.o ftp-ls.o ftp-opie.o getopt.o hash.o headers.o host.o html-parse.o html-url.o http.o init.o log.o main.o gen-md5.o netrc.o progress.o rbuf.o recur.o res.o retr.o safe-ctype.o snprintf.o gen_sslfunc.o url.o utils.o version.o -lssl -lcrypto
mkdir .libs
gcc -O2 -Wall -Wno-implicit -o wget cmpt.o connect.o convert.o cookies.o ftp.o ftp-basic.o ftp-ls.o ftp-opie.o getopt.o hash.o headers.o host.o html-parse.o html-url.o http.o init.o log.o main.o gen-md5.o netrc.o progress.o rbuf.o recur.o res.o retr.o safe-ctype.o snprintf.o gen_sslfunc.o url.o utils.o version.o -lssl -lcrypto
ld: Undefined symbols:
_OPENSSL_add_all_algorithms_noconf
make[1]: *** [wget] Error 1
make: *** [src] Error 2

I've tried to determine if my OpenSSL installation was built wrong, but as far as I can determine, it's OK. That doesn't mean that there's nothing wrong with OpenSSL on this platform, but so far, this link error has been the only problem I've encountered.

The platform is a dual-processor G5 running Mac OS X 10.2.8 with the latest developer tools installed (gcc 3.3 with G5 optimizer settings available, although I haven't used any of the command line switches to turn those optimizations on).

Help?

Best Regards,
Rob Poole
[EMAIL PROTECTED]