"Tony Lewis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> A patch was recently submitted for this issue. I don't know if
> anything has made it into the CVS or not. Hrvoje didn't like its
> dependence on "long long" so it might not have.

The patch uses `long long' without bothering to check whether the
compiler accepts it.  This is bad because, except for GCC, `long long'
is a fairly recent invention (and people on 64-bit platforms might
argue that they don't even need it because they have 64-bit `long'.)
Large-file aware application should use off_t instead, and be written
to work well regardless of its size.  Portable printing of off_t
values is tricky, but it can be done.

The patch goes ahead and simply assumes that `long long' is 64 bits
wide, which need not be the case.  It changes %ld format to %lld,
which invalidates every single available translation.  I asked the
submitters about this, but they never responded, which indicates that
they either don't understand the problem or don't care about fixing
it.