Hi Dan,

I must admit that I don't fully understand your question.

-nc
means no clobber, that means that files that already exist
locally are not downloaded again, independent from their age or size or
whatever.

-N
means that only newer files are downloaded (or if the size differs).

So these two options are mutually exclusive.
I could imagine that you want something like
wget --no-clobber --keep-server-time URL
right?
If I understand the manual correctly, this date should normally be kept
for http,
at least if you specify
wget URL
I just tested this and it works for me.
(With -S and/or -s you can print the http headers, if you need to.)

However, I noticed that quite many servers do not provide a
last-modified header.

Did this answer your question?
Jens