The SOCKS support was added to Wget at a very early date and was
unmaintained for a long time, up to the point where it wouldn't build
at all.  Since I didn't have the SOCKS library installed and noone
even reported the failures, I decided to remove the `--with-socks'
option from configure until someone stepped up to add back the
support.

In the meantime, the SOCKS library itself changed and porting new
applications to use it became much simpler than it used to be.  If you
have the time, visit
http://www.socks.permeo.com/TechnicalResources/SOCKSFAQ/SOCKSGeneralFAQ/HowtoSocksifyClients.asp
and see if the listed steps work with Wget.

As far as I can tell, Wget is SOCKS-friendly, according to guidelines
at
http://www.socks.permeo.com/TechnicalResources/DevelopDocuments/SOCKSFReferenceImpl120C.asp

  • Socks proxy? H. Hernan Moraldo
    • Re: Socks proxy? Hrvoje Niksic