Daniel Stenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On Mon, 10 May 2004, [iso-8859-2] Dra?en Ka?ar wrote:
>
>> > * Change most (all?) occurrences of `long' in the code to `off_t'.  Or
>> >   should we go the next logical step and just use uintmax_t right
>> >   away?
>>
>> Just use off_t.
>
> ... but Windows has no off_t... ;-)

That in itself is not a problem because, under Windows, off_t will be
typedeffed to a 64-bit type if LFS is available, and to `int'
otherwise.

The point of my question was: should low-level code even care whether
LFS is in use (by using off_t for various variables), or should it use
intmax_t to get the largest representation available on the system?
The latter is in principle sort of like using `long', except you're
not tied to the actual size of `long'.