On Thu, 17 Feb 2005, [ISO-8859-1] "Jens Rösner" wrote:

Hi Jens,

} Would -X"*backup" be OK for you?

It depends on how the trailing wildcard is used - the actual name of the
directories is ".backup", but they are in each directory [and yes, there
is html in each page which refers to them, which is why i'm trying to
avoid grabbing them in the first place]. I did give -X"*backup" a try, and
it too didn't work for me. :(

} If yes, give it a try.
} If not, I think you'd need the correct escaping for the ".",
} but I have no idea how to do that, but
} http://mrpip.orcon.net.nz/href/asciichar.html
} lists
} %2E
} as the code. Does this work?

I gave that a try too [thanks!], but it still fetches the .backup
directory: --exclude-directories="%2Ebackup".

However, I would like to confirm something dumb - will wget fetch these
directories, regardless of what I put in --exclude-directories, but when
it is done fetching the URL, will it then discard those directories? the
reason I ask this is because each time I've tried doing this, I've
interrupted the process with a ^C when I saw it fetching files from a
.backup directory. One of the goals, besides to save disc space, is to
save bandwidth, so I'd ideally like wget never to fetch those directories
to begin with.

Thanks for the tips, Jens!

/vjl/