Mauro,

   I tend to agree with Hrvoje. If you decide to open the
Pandora's box and implement iconv support, please, please,
provide an option, preferably default one, to configure or
use wget without iconv. FYI, there are languages which actively
use more than one coding. For example, I know 14 different
codings for Russian language. It is rather common that either
the charset at the remote host or the charset at the local host
are set incorrectly. iconv will choke in an attempt to recode
strings to UTF-8 and back in such a situation.

Leonid