from Hrvoje Niksic:

> [...]  Unfortunately EOL conversions break
> automatic downloads resumption (REST in FTP),

   Could be true.

>  manual resumption (wget -c),

   Could be true.  (I never use "wget -c".)

>  break timestamping,

   How so?

>  and probably would break checksums if we added them.

   You don't have them, and anyone who would be surprised by this should
be directed to the note in the documentation which would explain why.

> Most Wget's users seem to want byte-by-byte copies, because I don't
> remember a single bug report about the lack of ASCII conversions.

   You mean other than the one from the fellow who started this thread?

> The one thing that is surely wrong about my approach is the ';type=a'
> option, which should either be removed or come with a big fat warning
> that it *doesn't* implement the required conversion to native EOL
> convention and that it's provided for the sake of people who need text
> transfers and are willing to invoke dos2unix/unix2dos (or their OS
> equivalent) themselves.

   Interesting.  I'd have made ";type=a" work right (which I claim to
have done), and then perhaps included a run-time error or documentation
warning if it were mixed with incompatible options (which I haven't
done).

   Steven M. Schweda               (+1) 651-699-9818
   382 South Warwick Street        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   Saint Paul  MN  55105-2547