Hrvoje Niksic wrote:

> A program can be built on one machine and run on one or more others.

On one machine, yes, but can it be built on one architecture and run on
another? Will the Unix version run on Windows?

> I'm not aware of a way to reliably determine the coding of a file system.

Neither am I, but my thinking was that a version of wget built on "Unix"
(whatever that means) could use "Unix" rules for file names.

> (Other than the simple Windows vs. Unix, although even that fails
> in presence of SMB shares, Cygwin, and the like.)

Isn't it the responsibility of the software that provides the multi-platform
mapping (Samba, for instance) to handle the differences in file names?

Hmmm... is there anything we can learn from the Samba project about
file-name encoding?

Tony