So would the one in the for loop. I just used the ".", but you could do the same path as in the for loop:

find /path/to/downloads -name "index*.html" |xargs rm

The problem with specifying the /path/to/downloads is that if the contents are very large, some systems will error with the "The parameter list is too long" error. You might have to tweak it a bit on your system to figure out which works best.
Alan.