From: n g

> this is why i said that's a bug.

   Around here, I get consistent behavior.  Well, consistent between "-O
name" and "-O dir/name", anyway.  The behavior differs between operating
systems (say, Solaris v. VMS).  I'd guess that this is because setting
the modification date-time on an open file and then closing the file
might not be the most reliable way to set a modification date-time on
every operating system.

   You're welcome to re-write the "-O" code to work differently, but
that looks to me like a non-trivial task.

   Steven M. Schweda               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   382 South Warwick Street        (+1) 651-699-9818
   Saint Paul  MN  55105-2547