Separately resent to the list because of mistyped address  ;-)

----- Weitergeleitete Nachricht von Jochen Roderburg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
-----
    Datum: Sun, 08 Jul 2007 14:11:24 +0200
    Von: Jochen Roderburg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Antwort an: Jochen Roderburg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 Betreff: Re: fix: don't send HEAD if -O is given
      An: Mauro Tortonesi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Zitat von Mauro Tortonesi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> i've just committed to the trunk the patch included in attachment, which
> fixes bug #20323:
>
> https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?20323
>
> reported by Jochen Roderburg:
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/wget@sunsite.dk/msg09312.html
>
> here is the ChangeLog:
>
> 2007-07-04  Mauro Tortonesi  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
>        * http.c: Skip HEAD request and start immediately with GET if -O is
>        given.
>
> --
> Mauro Tortonesi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hello Mauro & Micah,

Sorry to report that this patch does not fix the bug, but instead creates new
worse bugs.

I was already a little puzzled about the title of the fix because my original
error report had nothing specifically to do with the "-O" case. I very rarely
use this option, but I know from numerous discussions here on the list that it
does something different than most people naively understand.

To sum my case up again about the usage of HEAD in the normal mode (no -O):

wget upto 1.10.2

no timestamping, no local file   no HEAD
no timestamping,    local file   no HEAD
   timestamping, no local file   no HEAD
   timestamping,    local file      HEAD

wget 1.11  svn 04/2007

no timestamping, no local file   no HEAD
no timestamping,    local file   no HEAD
   timestamping, no local file      HEAD
   timestamping,    local file      HEAD

So the little difference was that this version did a (IMHO) unnecessary HEAD
request in the case timestamping and no local file present. Not a big problem
as such, but a side effect was that it created more cases for the other
timestamp bug that I reported (timestamp for the local file is taken from the
HEAD request and not from the GET request).

Now after the new patch we have:

wget 1.11  svn 07/2007

no timestamping, no local file      HEAD, no file tranferred
no timestamping,    local file      HEAD, no file tranferred
   timestamping, no local file      HEAD, no file tranferred
   timestamping,    local file      HEAD, no file tranferred

Now it does the HEAD request really "always", and the file transfer is totally
broken (someone else has already reported that).

In this state I did not make any further tests with the -O variants.

Best regards,

Jochen Roderburg
ZAIK/RRZK
University of Cologne
Robert-Koch-Str. 10                    Tel.:   +49-221/478-7024
D-50931 Koeln                          E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Germany