Martin Paul <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Micah Cowan wrote:
>> Then, how was --http-user, --http-passwd working in the past? Those only
>> work with the underlying HTTP authentication protocol (the brower's
>> unattractive popup dialog), which AFAIK can't be affected by CGI forms
>> or JavaScript, etc.
>
> I must admit that I don't understand how it works - only Sun knows, I
> guess. Fact is that it accepts basic auth when it's being pushed at it
> by wget.

Very interesting.  I like the idea of a web interface supporting
*both* HTTP and cookie-based authentication.  There really should be a
way to force Wget to simply send basic authentication.  Maybe we
should differentiate between --http-user and --http-password and the
username/password being sent directly in the URL?  Whatever we do, it
might be impossible to both satisfy all use cases and avoid an
explicit option.