THE WHATIS.COM WORD-OF-THE-DAY
June 28, 2001

RFM analysis
______________
TODAY'S SPONSOR: Computer Books Direct

3 Computer Books for $1.99 each!
Take 3 books for $1.99 each and get one FREE with membership to
Computer Books Direct, your source for the most comprehensive
books on the topics you want-at the best value!  Upgrade and max
out your system, build web skills, learn Linux or master Windows
2000.
http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;3032109;5058249;c?http://161.58.99.48/cgi-local/redirect.pl?CUPRBCLCP
_____________
QUIZ #8: Database Basics
What do you call a database that has billions of table rows? Take
this week's quiz about how data is organized and discover the
mysterious world of database management. We're betting you know more
than you think you do!
http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,289893,sid9_gci750695,00.html
_____________
TODAY'S WORD: RFM analysis

See our definition with hyperlinks at
http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,289893,sid9_gci751219,00.html

RFM (recency, frequency, monetary) analysis is a marketing technique
used to determine quantitatively which customers are the best ones by
examining how recently a customer has purchased (recency), how often
they purchase (frequency), and how much the customer spends
(monetary). RFM analysis is based on the marketing axiom that "80% of
your business comes from 20% of your customers".

For more than 30 years, direct mailing marketers for non-profit
organizations have used an informal RFM analysis to target their
mailings to customers most likely to make donations. The reasoning
behind RFM was simple: people who donated once were more likely to
donate again. With the advent of e-mail marketing campaigns and
customer relationship management software, RFM ratings have become an
important tool. Using RFM analysis, customers are assigned a ranking
number of 1,2,3,4, or 5 (with 5 being highest) for each RFM
parameter. The three scores together are referred to as an RFM
"cell". The database is sorted to determine which customers were "the
best customers" in the past, with a cell ranking of "555" being
ideal.

Although RFM analysis is a useful tool, it does have its limitations.
A company must be careful not to oversolicit customers with the
highest rankings. Experts also caution marketers to remember that
customers with low cell rankings should not be neglected, but instead
should be cultivated to become better customers.

RELATED TERMS:

customer relationship management
http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,289893,sid9_gci213567,00.html

customer valuation
http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,289893,sid9_gci552684,00.html
___________________
S E L E C T E D  L I N K S

[1] At Charity Village, Anthony Lovell writes how "RFM analysis can
lower marketing costs and increase response."
http://www.charityvillage.com/charityvillage/research/rdm15.html

[2] The Database Marketing Institute explains how RFM analysis works.
http://www.dbmarketing.com/articles/Art123.htm

[3] SearchCRM.com provides best links to information about customer
relationship management.
http://www.searchcrm.com/
_______________________
TECHTARGET FEATURE

The Complete SQL Queries Training Course
By: Michael J. Hernandez & John L. Viescas

This package brings together the industry's #1 interactive SQL
training CD-ROM, the SQL Multimedia Cyber Classroom, with one of the
world's best SQL books, SQL Queries for Mere Mortals -- provided in
both hard copy and electronic format. Using this training package you
will learn: Grouping & totaling, Modifying databases, Integrating
data from multiple tables and multiple databases, & 300+ Sample
Queries & 5 fully developed sample databases.
http://www.digitalguru.com/dgstore/product.asp?isbn=0130897272&ac_id=76
__________________________
SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR!

TechStore

"I want to compliment you. I was a little unsure ordering a large
ticket item,
that we needed in a timely manner, from your store. We saved several
hundred dollars on this purchase and you delivered when you said you
would."

   -Actual Quotes-Actual Customers-Incredible Pricing
Ask for our FREE REPORT: "How to Outsource Offshore."
http://www.techstore.com
_________________________
RECENT ADDITIONS

[1] Southbridge
http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,289893,sid9_gci750982,00.html

[2] pathing
http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,289893,sid9_gci750985,00.html

[3] dynamic multi-pathing
http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,289893,sid9_gci750995,00.html

[4] Fibre Channel over IP
http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,289893,sid9_gci750990,00.html

[5] wave number
http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,289893,sid9_gci751004,00.html

If you would like to sponsor this or any techtarget newsletter,
please contact Gabrielle DeRussy at [EMAIL PROTECTED]