THE WHATIS.COM WORD-OF-THE-DAY
September 13, 2001

pseudo-random number generator
______________
TODAY'S SPONSOR: **STORAGE DECISIONS FREE CONFERENCE**

Storage Decisions brings together top storage analysts like Gartner's
VP Nick Allen and Steve Duplessie of ESG and expert technologists
like best-selling author Jon William Toigo. This exclusive conference
is FREE to members who qualify. Apply today.
http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;3177364;5058249;p?http://www.StorageDecisions2001.com
_____________
TODAY'S WORD: pseudo-random number generator

See our definition with hyperlinks at
http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,,sid9_gci769541,00.html

A pseudo-random number generator (PRNG) is a program written for, and
used in, probability and statistics applications when large
quantities of random digits are needed. Most of these programs
produce endless strings of single-digit numbers, usually in base 10,
known as the decimal system. When large samples of pseudo-random
numbers are taken, each of the 10 digits in the set
{0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9} occurs with equal frequency, even though they
are not evenly distributed in the sequence.

Many algorithms have been developed in an attempt to produce truly
random sequences of numbers, endless strings of digits in which it is
theoretically impossible to predict the next digit in the sequence
based on the digits up to a given point.

The very existence of the algorithm, no matter how sophisticated,
means that the next digit can be predicted. This has given rise to
the term "pseudo-random" for such machine-generated strings of
digits. They are equivalent to random-number sequences for most
applications, but they are not truly random according to the rigorous
definition.

The digits in the decimal expansions of irrational numbers such as pi
(the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter in a Euclidean
plane), e (the natural-logarithm base), or the square roots of
numbers that are not perfect squares (such as 21/2 or 101/2) are
believed by some mathematicians to be truly random. But computers can
be programmed to expand such numbers to thousands, millions,
billions, or trillions of decimal places; sequences can be selected
that begin with digits far to the right of the decimal (radix) point,
or that use every second, third, fourth, or nth digit.

Again, the existence of an algorithm to determine the digits in such
numbers is used by some theoreticians to argue that even these
single-digit number sequences are pseudo-random, and not truly
random. The question then becomes, "Is the algorithm accurate (that
is, random) to infinity, or not?" -- and because no one can answer
such a question definitively and because it is impossible to travel
to infinity and find out, the matter becomes philosophical.

RELATED TERMS

algorithm
http://searchvb.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid8_gci211545,00.html

irrational number
http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,,sid9_gci283983,00.html

logarithm
http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,,sid9_gci213698,00.html
___________________
SELECTED LINKS

[1] Taygeta Scientific has links to several information sources and
to some PRNGs.
http://www.taygeta.com/random.xml
_________________________
ASK THE EXPERT

Dear Ask the Expert,
I finished my Windows 2000 classes but I've been putting off taking
my certification exams. I've heard that the exams are really hard and
my own fear of failure is paralyzing me.  How can I get myself to go
take the exams? Is there any particular one I should start with?

See expert Ed Tittel's answer:
http://searchwin2000.techtarget.com/ateQuestionNResponse/0,289625,sid1_cid412676_tax285126,00.html

_________________________
RECENT ADDITIONS

[1] vi
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid12_gci768734,00.html

[2] transparent computing
http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,,sid9_gci765426,00.html

[3] transparent
http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,,sid9_gci765434,00.html

[4] alphanumeric
http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,,sid9_gci763592,00.html

[5] magnetic field strength
http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,,sid9_gci763586,00.html

If you would like to sponsor this or any techtarget newsletter,
please contact Gabrielle DeRussy at [EMAIL PROTECTED]