Quoting Sander Tekelenburg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
Exactly. That would in fact be an implementation of display:meta. Rendering
the contents of TITLE attributes in a Status Bar is too.

   No they're not. They're implementations of the |rel| and |title|
attributes.

How? I don't see the HTML spec stating how rel or title attributes must be
presented.

Well no, but neither would 'display:meta', right? The HTML specification does
define that they are there and that UAs can do something with them, like making
them available to the end user. That you can also style the element based on
those attributes is another thing.

Even if I would show the <title> element using 'head, title { display:block }'
it would still keep its semantics. With your proposal of 'display:meta' it
would not I assume. (Otherwise, what is it useful for?) That would mean that
you are changing semantics through CSS. Something like making a link no longer
a link trhough some property.

Now there has been some need for such a language, but it is not presentational. It is more some semantic language to describe what kind of element it is, which
attributes serve special functions, et cetera.

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>