First of all, I am not saying that MathML is great. However, when someone proposes replacing a language with another one in the context of the Web where there are strong network effects and formats cannot be considered on their intrinsic technical merits alone, I think the burden of proof is very much on the one proposing a new format.

From time to time people vent their frustration with a particular language by proposing abandoning a language for something supposedly better in a one-off message to a list. Your message seemed to start in the rant mode, hence my dismissive tone. Sorry.