Hi,

I think the current definition of <ol>[1] seems slightly too vauge:

The ol element represents an ordered list of items (which are represented by li elements).

I think <ol> is a list where the order is significant to the meaning; where the order is emphasized. For lists that happen to be ordered but the order isn't really of a big significance or isn't of higher significance than the global order of the document, <ol> shouldn't be used IMHO.

In essence, I want the definition in HTML5 be more like the spirit in HTML4[2]:

  An ordered list, created using the OL element, should contain information
  where order should be emphasized, as in a recipe: [...]

Otherwise people might use <ol> whenever a list happens to be in order, e.g. an A-Z list or a dialogue.

Which brings us to the next point: dialogue. The spec contains an example[3] which suggests that <ol> is appropriate for dialogue. I'm not convinced that it is. What makes a dialogue a list? While the order of dialogue is important, so is the order of any other paragraphs -- I don't think it should be emphasized in particular. I think I'd mark up the dialogue like this:

      <q> Look, you gotta first baseman? </q>
      <q> Certainly. </q>

Or, perhaps like this (in XHTML5):

[1] http://whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#the-ol