On Nov 4, 2006, at 1:53 AM, Henri Sivonen wrote:

None of Opera 9.02, Firefox 2.0, IE7 and Safari 2.0.4 implement colspan="0" as specified in HTML 4.01. Trident, Presto and WebKit at least agree on what to do with it: they treat it like colspan="1".

I suggest that only positive integers be conforming and that non-conforming values be treated as 1.

I know browser vendors have had a long time to implement this, but still, I think giving up on it would be a shame. The number of rows or columns in a table is often rather expensive to calculate ahead of time. As long as this has to be done to calculate the rowspan= or colspan= of header cells, this can substantially increase the time an application takes to generate a table. For the browser to interpret colspan="0" or rowspan="0" instead would both make life easier for application authors, and make such pages faster overall.

--
Matthew Paul Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/