----- Original Message ----- From: "Lachlan Hunt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Colin Lieberman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "Michel Fortin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, March 14, 2007 12:24 PM
Subject: Re: [whatwg] Embedding Elements Should be Structured Inline-Level
I have no problems with images remaining inline only.

I think all embedding elements, including img, should be allowed to be used in the same places. I consider it a mistake that HTML4 allows object to be used almost anywhere, but img only inline.

Strictly speaking HTML4 does not dictate inline nature of the image.

The only place I've found is this:

"The IMG element has no content; it is *usually* replaced inline by the image
designated by the src attribute." [1]

This phrase use word "usually" that imply exceptions
other than float cases. This is how I read this but I am not sure about
it.

BTW. Does it make sense for me to create a map of all HTML5 elements
that will define them in terms of  display-model and display-role [2]?

Andrew Fedoniouk.
http://terrainformatica.com

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/objects.html#edef-IMG
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-box/#L706