On Apr 26, 2007, at 7:34 PM, Lachlan Hunt wrote:
Why is _blank still considered a conforming value? On IRC, Hixie mentioned that there are some legitimate use cases, but didn't list any. I've argued against popups many times before and heard many arguments for them, but I'm yet to hear of any legitimate use cases. If there are any, what are they?

For most desktop applications in-depth help is presented in a separate window, so this will also likely be desirable for Web applications that do not consist of scrollable pages. (In those that do consist of scrollable pages, help would generally be better embedded in the pages themselves, perhaps as expandable sections.)

So that's a use case for popup windows, but not necessarily a use case for _blank, because help windows are usually reused (akin to target="myappnamehelp" rather than target="_blank").

--
Matthew Paul Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/