On Jun 1, 2007, at 6:03 PM, Ian Hickson wrote:

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007, Anne van Kesteren wrote:

Wouldn't it be better if no INDEX_SIZE_ERR was raised but instead the
previous value was retained? For consistency with
CanvasRenderingContext2D.globalAlpha for instance. It's not really
important, but I think that some consistency between the various APIs
would be nice.

In general, actually, raising INDEX_SIZE_ERR is what the APIs do. So for
consistency, volume is correct.

globalAlpha, though, is not. What do people think? Should we change the
canvas globalAlpha attribute to raise an exception for out-of-range
values? Any browser vendors have an opinion?

In general I prefer silent failure to exceptions, since JS exceptions tend to lead to catastrophic failure of a whole script and thus tend to turn slight implementation differences (possibly misreading the spec in some cases) into serious compatibility issues.

Regards,
Maciej