On Aug 23, 2007, at 6:42 PM, Ian Hickson wrote:

IDEA

Ok so here's my idea based on the existing ideas, the comments on those ideas, and so forth. One of my main goals was keeping everything as simple
as possible.

My proposal is that we add a new attribute to the <html> element, which
flags that the page is a Web app that wants to be pinned for offline
execution and that when you next fetch the file or one of its subresources
while online, it should try to update all the subresources atomically.

This could either trigger the different behaviour automatically, or only when requested by the user, or we could say this applies to any page, but that the user must enable it, or we could provide an API which triggers
this for the page. I kind of like the explicit attribute, though.

Comments?

I haven't read over the details but there seems to be an obvious showstopper problem: this won't work for web applications that consist of more than one page.

Regards,
Maciej