Ian Hickson wrote:
On Mon, 24 Sep 2007, Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:
I have a question: why SQL was chosen as client side storage for Web Applications?

Because it's what most app developers are already used to -- the M in the widely used traditional LAMP stack is SQL.

"most app developers are already used to" ... do what?
Storing text and other variable length data in flat tables?
Where did you find such developers?

I understand need of SQL DB on the server but
data on the client has different structure as a rule.

Do you know any example where client storage as
SQL DB is *really* needed?  And by the way
what flavor of sql is used? Transactions, stored
procedures / triggers ? Or we will declare that we
all should have to use SQLite only?
(I have nothing against SQLite per se - it is good)

Some particular company may find that for their
particular tasks SQL is exactly what is needed but
I do not think that it is wise to assume that
all storage needs will fit in procrustean bed of SQL/
relational DBs and all UA vendors will agree
to use the same version of SQLite.

I suspect that initial simple *Berkeley DB*
alike proposal is what really needed and enough in
most cases.

Andrew Fedoniouk.
http://terrainformatica.com